• You are here
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Pardon Environmental Activist Tim DeChristopher

#37783 2 years, 9 months ago
Please Help This is Serious:

Tim DeChristopher is the brave, environmental activist who brought worldwide attention to the illegal oil and gas auction in Utah that was one of President Bush’s farewell actions to the American people. Tim, also known as Bidder 70, bid and won many parcels that would have been sold for oil and gas exploration and development.

Tim entered the auction room not even sure of what he would do, but once given the opportunity to actually bid he went ahead with his action of protest against the governments illegal auction selling pristine wilderness for oil and gas development. For this Tim has been convicted of two felonies and faces sentencing, now postponed until July 26. The Obama administration found the auction fraudulent and canceled all sales. Rather than hail Tim as a hero for bringing attention to the auction this same administration has pursued the prosecution of Tim, who could be sentenced for up ten years.

Tim is 29 years old and knew that he could no longer sit by and allow actions like this by our government to continue knowing the damage that would be caused to our environment. Tim took this action for all of us, to save our future from the grim predictions of what kind of world we face with climate change. This petition is to ask President Obama to pardon Tim DeChristopher for the actions that in effect led to the administration rescinding the auction.

www.change.org/petitions/president-obama...st-tim-dechristopher
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer , calliopewail, DeadHead420, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue
judit
Junior Boarder

Re: Pardon Environmental Activist Tim DeChristopher

#38111 2 years, 9 months ago
I wish him, and the land, trees, air and water, well.
FUCK CANCER!

Peace & Love
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#79552 2 years, 5 months ago
How convenient that this does not make mainstreem news, or if it does, it's a quick blip.

Climate Activist Tim DeChristopher Given Two-Year Sentence For Derailing Bush Oil Auction.

thinkprogress.org/green/2011/07/27/28026...n-two-year-sentence/

In the waning days of the Bush presidency, an auction of 130,000 acres of pristine Utah lands near national parks was organized by the Bureau of Land Management as a last-minute gift to the oil and gas industry. The auction was disrupted by climate activist Tim DeChristopher, then a 27-year-old economics student, who successfully bid for $1.7 million in parcels. Although the Bush leasing plan was found in court to be flawed and has been withdrawn, today DeChristopher was sentenced to two years in federal prison, fined $10,000 for his act of civil disobedience, and taken immediately into custody.

At the sentencing, DeChristopher — a native of West Virginia, where coal companies rule supreme — explained why he was willing to take on the government and the fossil fuel industry, risking a prison sentence that could have been as long as ten years:

I actually have great respect for the rule of law, because I see what happens when it doesn’t exist, as is the case with the fossil fuel industry.

The federal prosecutor, Assistant U.S. Attorney John Huber, sought a stiff sentence against DeChristopher “‘to afford adequate deterrence to criminal conduct’ by others,” because “the rule of law is the bedrock of our civilized society, not acts of ‘civil disobedience’ committed in the name of the cause of the day.”

“The people who are committed to fighting for a livable future will not be discouraged or intimidated by anything that happens here today,” DeChristopher responded in his 35-minute address. “And neither will I.”
Update

Twenty-six activists were were arrested for blockading the Salt Lake City courthouse where DeChristopher was sentenced.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#87104 2 years, 5 months ago
how is bidding at an auction a felony?
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#89346 2 years, 5 months ago
When the government and their bed buddies say so, or so it seems.

All I can say is many famous and well respected philanthropists have done similar things in the past. John D. Rockefeller bought a lot of land in the Midwest to preserve the pristine beauty. In the NY area I believe Robert Moses did similar things.

I live in Suffolk County NY and our county buys a lot of land in what they call the pine barrens so that the natural aquifers are not polluted. Unfortunately for us, budget issues may result in the selling off of some of the land we've been buying for preservation.

This guy got the shaft. He needs some famous people to come to his aide, like James Gandolfini (his publicity helped free a murder suspect on Long Island who had been in jail for ~ 20 years a couple of years ago). Of the public outcry that eventually freed Rubin "Hurricane" Carter many years ago.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#90277 2 years, 5 months ago
Like I have metioned before, us HEADS could have a major impact on issues of this nature> Sure "We all wanna change the world" but some of the problems that are facing us are lets face it to big for anyone group to try and solve or impact.

With this one issue on the other hand I feel that we could make at least a "ripple" of affect for him and possible give him hope through his sentance that there are people who not only agree with what he did , but also stand in soladarity with him and agaistst judicial bullying.

rant over, thanks for the continued interest scar1et. Wish that there was somthing more I could do.......he really did get the saft on this one, just dosen't st well with me and I am sure other bleeding hearts or sensible realist.......

Thought it was over, maybe shouldn't shoot from the hip so much.....?
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#139280 2 years ago
www.peacefuluprising.org/breaking-tim-de...ions-remain-20120327

Please help him now-He needs us more then ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
Time to create page: 0.78 seconds